Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Week 14: Reading Diary

Week 14: Russian Folktales

The Dead Mother:
This was a very creepy story! The dead mother comes and visits her son every night. At the end, everyone sees her because they camped out in the room to find who was sneaking in the baby's room every night. When everyone saw her, she left and they found the baby dead.

The Treasure:
So at first I was unsure about this story because I felt bad for the old man. He finally got some money for his wife's funeral, and he was a good man. Then the Pope comes along and steals it. What kind of pope does that? The pope gets punished for what he had done by turning into a goat. I loved the way it ended with some karma.

The Bad Wife:
This story was kind of weird I am not sure if I liked it or not. The wife was terrible! If I was going to rewrite this one, I would probably focus on the wife and husband. I would forget about the demon, and have the husband get revenge on his wife the whole time in many ways.

 The Three Copecks:
This story was all over the place for me. It was weird because it was about some copecks, then a cat, then riches and a wife. It didn't feel very connected to me.

The Witch Girl:
I liked this story because it was short and simple. Everything happened pretty quickly. For some reason, the first sentence of this story made me think of the movie "Sleepy Hollow." I think it would be fun to do a play on this if I were to rewrite the story.

The Headless Princess:
This story was strange. I wish they would have told us why the girl was headless. I think it would be fun to change this story up a LOT. I wish they would have described the horrors that took place at night in the church. This would be fun to play with for sure.

The Warlock:
I thought this story was interesting. The father kills two of his daughter-in-laws, but the third one outsmarts him. She gets to take all of the money from his coffin for outsmarting him.

The Fox Physician:
This story was so sad! The old man tries to carry his wife up to the skies, but drops her because she asked him a question. She falls to the ground and is smashed into pieces so the man takes her to a fox. The fox says he can bring her back to life, but is joking and eats her up.

Two Friends:
I think this one would be really fun to change up. The title reminded me of the show "Friends" so I think it would be fun to put the characters from the show into this story. I could do something like: Ross is the one who disappears and leaves Rachel alone to eventually marry another man.






No comments:

Post a Comment