Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Week 12: Reading Diary

Week 12: Reading Diary

Celtic Fairytales
Connla and the Fairy Maiden:
I didn't really get this story. The maiden kept trying to get Connla to go with her to the land where she is from, but nothing ever really happened. He eventually went, but that was it. I was thinking maybe she was tricking him or something. That would be a fun way to rewrite the story.

The Field of Boliauns:
This was a fun story I thought. I have not read a story until now about leprechauns so that was a nice change! I thought it was strange how Tom simply seemed to be a normal, nice enough guy, but then he turned into a jerk immediately.

The Horned Women: If I were going to redo this story, I would change almost everything about it. It definitely was not my favorite. I guess I was just expecting something totally different.

The Shepherd of Myddvai:
This story reminded me of the story I read at the beginning of the semester about the delicate wives. She told him if he strikes her three times she will leave him, but she counts little taps and barely any touching at all as strikes. I kind of liked this story because it was a little different than a lot of the other ones I have read.

The Sprightly Tailor:
This would have been a great story for me to redo for my Halloween story! Anyways, I really liked this story. I liked that it was supposed to be like a haunted church/graveyard type of thing. I really wanted more ghosts and scary things to happen, but I loved that it had that type of feel to it.

Munachar and Manachar:
This story was kind of annoying because it repeated itself like 50 times, but the ending was kind of funny. He went through all that trouble, and then Manachar burst. I am assuming because he ate all of Munachar's raspberries. Every one.

Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree:
This is supposed to be a type of Snow White story. I definitely saw the connection. Man, the mother tried to kill her daughter 3 times! At least in most of the Snow White stories, it is her step  mother, not her real mother. I really liked this story. I am glad that the evil mother finally died in the end. What I did not like is that the prince ended up having 2 wives at the end. I would definitely change that.

King O'Toole and His Goose:
This story was kind of strange in my opinion. I thought it was so sad that after ALL that, the goose ended up dying. I wasn't in love with this story so I probably will not rewrite it.

Beth Gellert:
This story literally broke my heart. I have stories about dogs because they ALWAYS die. This was such a sad, sad story. Gellert, the dog, saved the Kings son from a wolf, but the king did not waste any time assuming he actually killed the son when he saw blood everywhere. He killed the dog only to find out seconds later that he was still alive. I would love to redo this and make everything different.

No comments:

Post a Comment