Thursday, October 30, 2014

Week 11: Storytelling: Alice in Horrorland

Week 11: Storytelling

Alice in Horrorland

Haunted Forest of Horrorland
Once Alice had finally landed at the bottom of the rabbit hole, she fell to the coldest and hardest ground she had ever felt. She quickly stood up and looked all around her. 

All around Alice were dark trees and fog as far as she could see. She had no idea where she was or why she was there. Alice decided to walk until she found someone or something that could help her get back home. 

An hour later, she could finally see a house in the distance. She walked and walked until she eventually came up to the dark and rundown old house. She made the questionable decision to knock on the door.


Haunted House 
When she knocked, the door automatically opened. Alice quickly walked in and immediately the door slammed shut. She hurried into the next room and found a black cat with such large teeth showing a grin beyond evil. Alice thought to herself, "I did not know that cats could grin so evilly."

The cat screeched and ran off leaving Alice alone. Immediately, Alice heard the cackle of what sounded like a witch. When she turned around, Alice saw the most horrible-looking woman she had ever seen watching her. She was quite a tall, chubby woman and she was wearing a long white dress. The dress looked like it had hearts painted on with blood.

Alice closed her eyes and shook her head. "Surely I am dreaming. This cannot be real life," she thought to herself, terrified. When she carefully opened her eyes, the evil woman was still standing there in her blood-painted dress. "Welcome to my house, little girl! If you didn't already figure it out, it is haunted!" exclaimed the woman. "I am the Queen of Hearts, and I am ready to take yours," the queen screamed. 

Horrorland
Alice had never felt her stomach drop like that before. She started running towards the front door to escape the murderous queen. She slammed the door behind her but that did not stop the queen. The queen started chasing after Alice through the haunted woods of Horrorland. Alice finally found a large tree to hide behind. 

Everything got real quiet for a few minutes. Alice had a slight feeling of hope when all of a sudden she heard what sounded like a branch crack. She held her breath and tried not to make a sound, but the queen was getting closer and closer. 

Alice started to cry and could not contain herself. The queen heard a noise and followed the sound. She found the tree which Alice was hiding behind. The queen of hearts screamed "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!" and took an axe to Alice, cutting her head clean off. She started laughing and used the blood to draw another heart on her white dress. She went home and waited for another victim to come knocking on her door.

Author's Note: I changed this story a lot. I decided since it is the week of Halloween, I would do a horror themed story. My goal was to make the queen like someone we usually see in horror films. I was thinking someone similar to Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees. I was initially going to just add Michael Myers into the story as the killer, but after I chose my reading unit I thought the queen would be perfect. I did not describe Alice falling down the rabbit hole because I felt it did not need to be explained, and it was not that important to my story. I really wanted to focus on the actual haunted woods and the chase. I added little things such as the cat who I changed to have an evil grin instead of a happy one. I also wanted to add in the haunted house because there are a lot of times where Alice goes into a house or is trying to open doors. I turned the meaning of queen of hearts into a very gory one. I thought it would make for an interesting twist while still having her keep her name. I changed the name of the story to "Alice of Horrorland" instead of "Alice in Wonderland" because it fits the story better, and also because of my Halloween theme. I felt that since this story is very well known, I could really change it a lot, even just simple details, and people would know the differences I made to my version. 

Bibliography:
Author: Lewis Carroll
Year: 1865
Web Source: Un-Textbook


5 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I got tired of reading through storybooks so I decided to check out your portfolio for my extra choice for this week of commenting on the internet assignment. I like how you chose to write your story with a horror theme since Halloween was this week. You did a good job of retelling Alice in Wonderland to be a horror story, I could see how you made that connection since it is a pretty strange story. I thought it was funny that you had Alice do many of the same mistakes that horror movie characters stupidly make, such as entering "abandoned" houses or trying to hide from the killer instead of just getting as far away as possible. It reminded me of that recent commercial where it makes fun of movie characters choosing terrible hiding spots such behind a bunch of chainsaws or in a graveyard. I also liked how you transitioned the Queen of Hearts to be more of a horror movie killer, it was clever using her name to be more sinister than just a card suite reference. I also liked how you brought the story full circle by having the Queen saying one of her regular lines. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephanie!

    I love that you did a horror story in honor of Halloween! You were right when you mentioned that you could easily change many of the details of the original story and the readers would still know what was going on. Since this is such a common and well-known story, I think you did a nice job of putting a spooky spin on things and making it your own. Also, the pictures are awesome, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie! What an interesting and fun twist you have put on the familiar story of Alice in Wonderland. I would have never thought to make the changes you did, but using the Halloween theme, I think you did a great job with keeping some details the same but changing some to play along with the scary horror story theme. The creepy Queen with hearts on her dress? Great idea, and even creepier is that her hearts are from her victims! The line that freaked me out the most was "I am the Queen of Hearts, and I am ready to take yours." Such a perfect line to create the horror setting in this story. I was creeped out when I read that! I am glad you didn't add Michael Myers to this story. I think keeping the same characters such as the cat and the Queen of Hearts was a good way of sticking to the original story. Also, I did not expect Alice to die, let alone get her head chopped off! I thought maybe she would get away, but I think it was a good ending. Overall good job on your portfolio and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stephanie,

    I absolutely loved your choice of Alice in Wonderland for your portfolio story this week. I read that unit and enjoyed it a lot. It was nice to read a unit that had a longer story that allowed more development to come into the entirety of it. I also thought it was brilliant that you added the Halloween twist since it was Halloween. I can see how some of the characters, such as the Cheshire Cat, can be viewed in a creepy way. I think the pictures chosen really well. I am pretty sure the house is from the movie Monster House, but I am not quite sure. The pictures also helped set the anxious/eerie tone that I think you were going for. Your addition of the Queen of Hearts who like to wear her victims hearts was a great idea, I would not of thought to do that at all. Just that slight change in detail makes her a much scarier person. It was surprising to find out the Alice died. All notions I had with the story Alice in Wonderland is that she wouldn't ever die, so that really took me off guard. I think you did a wonderful job writing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie,

    I really liked reading your story! I actually watched the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland this past weekend haha. I love that you did a horror theme. There is actually a book "Alice in Zombieland" that I really want to read and this made me want to read it even more! I love all the images and details you used in the story, it felt like I was there too.

    Overall, really great job!

    ReplyDelete