Sunday, October 19, 2014

Week 5: Storytelling: The Broken Pot

The Broken Pot 
There once was a man named Miser. This man was very greedy to say the least. He had started a collection of rice that he had acquired while begging over the last few months. This rice was in a beautiful pot that he decided to put next to the fireplace so that he could look at it all day and night and dream of what would come of the rice. In his day dream this is what he thought:

Miser thought that if there ever was to be a famine, he would sell all of his rice for a hundred rupees. This rice would make him enough money to do something great. With this money he would start a little restaurant on the poorest street in town. It would be something small, and only the poor would step foot inside. Here Miser would sell dishes such as vegetable soup, bread, and the scraps of meat that no one else wanted. After a year he would sell the small restaurant making just enough profit to buy something bigger and better.

With five hundred rupees, Miser could afford to buy a restaurant in the suburbs of town. This restaurant would be twice as big and twice as nice. This restaurant would attract a middle class clientele, and he would make double the profit. Here he would serve people such as doctors, soldiers, and priests.  The typical menu would be mushroom soup, two different types of bread, chicken, and trout. After a year, Miser would make enough profits to sell the restaurant and end up with twice as much money.

With one thousand rupees, Miser would buy a restaurant in the center of the city. His restaurant would be three times bigger and better than the last one. Here he would serve his food to only the richest people of the land. Kings and Queens would regularly stop at his beloved restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After two years Miser would have made twice as much money on profits and twice as much on selling the restaurant.  All together he would now have four thousand rupees.

The Broken Pot
With these rupees he would buy a mansion with a stable and many horses. Then he will marry a woman who would give a large dowry to him. He dreamed that would have a son who he would name Sarmon. Sarmon would love his dad very much, and he would always love to play with their horses. One day Sarmon would get to0 close to a horse and Miser will call to his wife to go get him. However, his wife would not be listening because she was cleaning the house. So Miser would get up and give her a large kick to get her attention.

As Miser was thinking about kicking his wife, he gave out a large kick and kicked the pot of rice. He kicked so hard that it went into the fireplace. The pot broke into a million pieces and all of the rice went into the burning flames along with his greedy dreams.

Author's Note: For this unit I decided to keep the story the same, but change the details of it. In the original story Miser dreams about buying animals and selling them when they reproduce and keeps buying nicer and nicer animals and selling them until he buys a mansion with four separate wings. When he is daydreaming this is what he does in the future: he starts by selling the rice to buy goats, when the goats reproduce, he sells them for cows. When the cows have calves, he sells the calves and buys buffalo. When the buffalos reproduce, he sells them for horses and he eventually will sell them for gold. He did not really even have to work for his fortune in the original. He just sells animals, but in my version he actually hast to work in order to gain money. I did not want him to just sit back and not have to do anything since he was such a greedy man. He deserved to have to work. In the original, Misers name is actually Svabhavakripana which means "born miser" so I just changed it to Miser for convenience, and also because miser means greedy.  I kept everything about the wife and son the same except the son's name is actually Somasarmon. I also changed that for convenience. Since he really does kick his wife, I had to keep that in there since that was the reason for his lost dreams. If he kicked his wife, he deserved to lose the rice into the fire.

Bibliography:
Book: Indian Fairytales
Author: Joseph Jacobs
Year Published: 1912
Web Source: Un-Textbook




10 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    The end of this story actually made me chuckle. I liked your adaptations to this story. I didn't read the original story, but I could see how you changed it. I liked that it gave it a slightly more modern twist while still remaining rustic in feel. I also liked that you changed the name, but included aspects of the original names. As I said before, I actually laughed a little when he kicked his pot into the fire. I can't imagine the feeling of all of your dreams diminishing in front of your very eyes.

    Linzee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely laughed when he kicked the pot into the fire also. It was like all of this build up for something great and then all of his opportunities just vanished because he was being selfish and careless. I really appreciate your input and that you liked my story! Have a great OU/TX weekend!!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your retelling of this story! When I saw what Miser's original name was I can definitely understand why you changed it. I don't even know how to go about pronouncing his real name... I haven't read the original story but I do like the idea of buying and selling restaurants and making his way up. I feel like that would be more relatable that buying and selling animals. Overall I really enjoyed your story and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed your storytelling assignment! I think it is a fantastic story. I'm doing my storybook project on stories with the theme "pride goes before destruction." I believe that this story could easily be molded to fit that theme, so I am really glad that you did your assignment on this story! Like you, I would keep the majority of the plot the same, but just change a few details. In mine, he might die of starvation after kicking his only food in the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,

    I really enjoyed your story! This is definitely one of my favorites that I have read this whole semester. Miser becomes so intricate in what he will do with his rupees, and his time, that the reader almost forgets that he is only daydreaming. I almost feel as it it was karma that came back and got him when he was picturing himself kicking his imaginative wife, and instead he kicks his opportunity into the fire. You really did such a great job with this retelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! One of your favorites from the whole semester? Thats an amazing compliment! Thank you so much. I thought this story was funny because he kicks his opportunity into the fire. It is most definitely karma because he was selfish. I am learning more and more every day that karma is a real thing so this was kind of an example of that. Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. This story made me laugh! I kind of felt bad for Miser when he kicked all his rice into the fire, but that is what you get when you spend all day daydreaming and not actually working. Plus, who kicks their wife? Especially just to get her attention! This story reminds me of the saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." I think making the changes to Miser and his son's names was a good choice. It is much easier to focus on and relate to the story when I don't have to struggle to figure out how to pronounce the protagonist's name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie!

    I loved this story! It flowed really well and had a good moral! Don't be greedy. Also, I loved that he got his just desserts. Greed never gets anyone anywhere in the long run. I appreciate you changing the character's names to more simple English names. I don't even know how to attempt to pronounce Miser's real name! Haha :) Good job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie, I loved this storytelling post! You did a great job detailing all of Miser's thoughts and their progression with each new acquisition of riches. This reminds me of the quote by J.K. Rowling, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." This is so true! By focusing on his plans for the future, Miser completely loses track of where he is in the present, and this costs him everything. You had a great moral here, and this story was very entertaining to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, I really enjoyed your storytelling post. I've never heard of it before and you did a good job making it an enjoyable read that had a good moral to it. I also liked how you retold the story in that he wants to run restaurants because it makes him a bit more despicable since he wants to sell scraps to the poor. Great job

    ReplyDelete